Monday, August 8, 2011

Collateral damage

Driving home one cloud-cluster-fucked night,

I saw a man cross 20 feet ahead then heard

a sickening thud-crunch and hit the brake.

He’s yelling “back up, back up, you’ve run him over.”


As soon as I make out it’s about a dog,

I’m so relieved it’s not his child that I start sobbing

my lungs yanking tighter than a draw-string purse

and as tight as my company’s budget.


I had killed his black Labrador puppy. I back up,

get out and wail, “Why wasn’t he on a leash?”

More and more angry. “Why did you let him run loose!

How can I see a black dog in the night?”


A woman appears, cries her puppy’s brand new.

They were going to get a leash the next day.

The puppy was lonely and crying to stay with her

while they were moving into their first house.



This really happened to me at about 8:30 pm one night, and I changed jobs as soon as I could afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment